Female farming inside of a shipping container farm harvesting green oak lettuce
Spotlight: Ashleigh Burgess
Farming is just one piece of the puzzle
Our team is dedicated to the mission of providing global access to safe food, but that’s not the only thing that makes them an asset to our team. It’s their motivation to make a difference in many different areas, breaking barriers, and tapping into hobbies that make them better versions of themselves. We’re all here to learn and to evolve and to help each other get to (wherever it is) we want to go.
- Go back to your childhood. What did you want to be when you grew up?
- When I was little, I wanted to be a princess but realistically I wanted to be an agriculture teacher!
- What’s your motivation for being a farmer today?
- What motivates me to be a farmer is my love for agriculture and educating others on the importance of where our food comes from.
- What has been your most memorable moment with VR?
- My favorite part of VR is how we’ve become a big family and it makes me look forward to going to work everyday to see my best friends.
- What people, movies, or books inspire you?
- The people that inspire me are all the women in agriculture. You don’t have to be a man to farm or drive heavy machinery.
- If you could make one change to the food system, what would it be?
- If I could make one change to the food system, it would be transparency. People want to know where their food is coming from, what’s in it, and how long it took to get from farm to shelf.
- Favorite local nonprofit?
- My favorite local nonprofit is Feed My Sheep because they provide food, clothing, and will help find homes for veterans, homeless, and families in need.
- What would you tell someone who wants to pursue a career in agriculture?
- To anyone wanting a career in agriculture, I would tell them if they put their heart into it every single day, it is the most rewarding career you will ever find.
- What would you tell someone looking to live more sustainably?
- For someone wanting to live more sustainably, I would tell them to think about how much energy they are using everyday at home. Unplug your appliances, turn off the lights, turn down the heater and use a blanket instead.
- Now the hard one: Favorite type of lettuce?
- My favorite type of lettuce is Rouxai!
- What do you like doing outside of work?
- I enjoy welding!