Warm Winter Salad
- Vertical Roots Super Spring Mix and Arugula
- 365 by Whole Foods Market Super Grains Organic ( a blend of red and white quinoa, millet and buckwheat)
- 365 by Whole Foods Market Tart Cherries
- 1 Onion
- 1 Head of garlic
- Butternut Squash (fresh or frozen)
- Fresh Sage
- Fresh Thyme
- 365 by Whole Foods Market Cashews
- Olive Oil
- Prepare Super Grains as instructed on the package
- Cut onion into thin slices and cook on medium heat with 1 tablespoon of butter until golden. Approx 30 minutes.
- If not using frozen or pre-cut squash, cut squash into 1 inch cubes and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle 2 Tbsps of olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh chopped sage and thyme.
- Prepare the garlic. Clean off the excess but leave the skins in-tact. Cut garlic to expose the tops of the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in tin foil.
- Place the garlic in the pan with the squash and bake together at 400ºF for about 30 minutes until squash is tender and browned, and garlic is soft.
- Fold super grains, squash, and onion together, then toss with Vertical Roots Super Spring Mix and Arugula until wilted.
- Top with, dried cherries, cashews, and a final toss with the roasted garlic vinaigrette
- If you’re a roasted garlic lover, scatter a few roasted garlic chunks throughout the salad
To make the vinaigrette, whisk together or emulsify the ingredients until smooth:
- 4 roasted garlic cloves, mashed (press them out from the roasted garlic head, and mash)
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste