We are closely following the coronavirus (COVID-19) with the guidance of the South Carolina Department of Health (SCDHEC) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Vertical Roots takes your health seriously, check out our blog post about the safety measures taken by our teams here.
Big Changes for Our Local Food Systems
It’s increasingly important to support our local food systems, not only do they help reduce negative environmental impact like lower emissions, they also support economic opportunities. Vertical Roots has two farming operations in South Carolina: one in Charleston with the capacity to produce about 1.2 million heads of lettuce a year and the second location in West Columbia which is about 4X the size of Charleston. We want to help these areas and raise awareness for how local restaurants are adapting their businesses to keep providing our communities with fresh and healthy food. For the Charleston area, Charleston City Paper is keeping track of restaurants with to-go and delivery expansions and for the Columbia area, WIS 10 Columbia has captured a similar list and carryout options.
With the local food system rapidly changing to keep communities safe, maintaining a balanced nutritional diet is also vital. Vertical Roots products are packed with lots of vitamins and minerals that support immune system health.
Why is the Immune System important?
The immune system is a defense system for our bodies. It helps fight infection from germs (microbes) and viruses. Nutrition is a key factor to immune system health to ensure our bodies can fight and prevent these infections and ideally, make us less susceptible to infections.
How do leafy greens support healthy immune systems?
Dark green and red-colored leafy greens indicates higher nutritional content and most leafy greens are a great source of vitamins and minerals essential for immune system health:
- Hydration supports the immune system and leafy greens hold high water content that’s packed with soluble nutrients
- Antioxidants can help protect and balance the body by fighting free radicals.
- Beta-carotene is an antioxidant that’s converted into Vitamin A, which is a nutrient appearing to be rich in disease-fighting elements.
- Fiber promotes the removal of toxins.
- Potassium helps regulate body functions such as the nervous system, muscle and heart contractions, and fluid balance.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids can help prevent blood clotting, promote heart health as well as fight inflammation, depression and anxiety.
- Folate helps your body create new cells and may play a role in preventing heart disease and inflammation.
- Vitamin A is known to promote healthy eyes, skin, and immune system.
- Vitamin B’s
- B5 promotes the production and release of antibodies from B-cells.
- B6 may promote brain health, eye health, and may help fight depression.
- B1 (thiamin) is needed for nerve and muscle functions as well as metabolizing carbohydrates
- B2 (riboflavin) is needed for metabolism and energy production.
- B12 helps to maintain healthy cells, nerves, and DNA production.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps boost your immune system and may help combat iron deficiency, lower heart disease risk, and lower blood pressure.
- Vitamin K plays a role in benefits that include healthy bones, improved memory, and heart health.
Let’s stay healthy, safe, and keep our local food system strong. We’d love to see what you’re eating, tag @verticalroots with your nutritional doses of Vertical Roots lettuces.
This information is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE.
Sources: https://www.healthline.com, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com, https://www.webmd.com, https://home.howstuffworks.com, https://www.seattlecca.org/sites/default/files/page_content/2018-02/UELAND-Supporting-a-Healthy-Immune-System-Through-Food.pdf